Here is a delicious fruit custard recipe – made without sugar! This recipe is perfect for toddlers and kids and makes for a wholesome, nutritious and tasty mid-morning snack.
Got a kid who hates fruit? You’ve tried everything under the sun and nothing’s working and you’re going crazy wondering how to get some fruits into your stubborn little one. Well, we’ve got just what you need – a colorful and delicious recipe made with multiple fruits – fruit custard!
What’s more, this fruit custard is sugar free and egg free, as I have used eggless custard powder which is also free from artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. Naturally sweetened with honey, this fruit custard is a delight to eat and a breeze to make!
This fruit custard can be given to babies above 1.5 years and care must be taken to prevent choking hazards. Chop the fruits very finely while feeding it to small babies. You may use any fruits of your choice, except for citrus fruits like orange which may turn the custard sour.Easy Sugar Free Fruit Custard Ingredients:
Measurements used 1 cup = 200 mlMethod:
1. In a small bowl take the custard powder and add 1/4 cup of cold milk to it. whisk to make a lump free solution. Keep aside.
2. Now heat remaining milk in a sauce pan. Once it boils, add the custard mix to it in batches while continuously stirring. Cook the custard on low to medium flame for 5-7 minutes while stirring to get a creamy custard sauce.
3. Put off the flame and allow the custard to cool down completely at room temperature. Now add honey to it and whisk well. Our custard sauce is ready. cover and chill it in refrigerator until serving time.
4. When ready to serve, wash peel and chop the fruits. Transfer them to a mixing bowl.
5. Now whisk the custard sauce again to make it lump free and creamy. Pour this sauce over the fruits and mix well. Serve!
This custard can be made and kept in refrigerator for a day without adding fruits. Once you add the fruits to the custard consume it the same day. Add honey to the custard when it is cooled to room temperature. Custard powder is made up of corn starch and vanilla extract. Try to use good quality custard powder free from artificial additives, but if you can’t seem to find it, you can use corn flour or arrow root powder to make custard and add vanilla extract to flavor it. Vegans may use any plant based milk like almond or soy milk to make this custard and replace honey with coconut sugar or any other sweetener of choice.